Thanks to my buddy, Hoong Fai (Web Strategy Lead, Microsoft Malaysia) for flying me to Kuala Lumpur for two events. Although it was very tiring, but it was a great experience.
The first event (Monday, 24 Jan 2011) is to deliver an introduction topic on Cloud Computing and Windows Azure for Malaysia’s student who are participating Imagine Cup 2011. It was attended by more than 70 peoples including students and lecturers.
Introduction to Cloud Computing by Lai Hoong Fai
Fai started the session to explain some basic concept of cloud computing that includes:
- the difference between on-premise, hosting, and cloud computing
- the scenario that is suitable for cloud,
- the benefit that we received when moving to the cloud,
- the category of cloud computing (IAAS, PAAS, and SAAS),
- some of the cloud player in the market
Windows Azure Platform Overview by me
Having completed the cloud computing by Fai which took about 45 minutes,next was my session on Windows Azure Platform.
I started my session by briefly introducing three main components in Windows Azure Platform (Windows Azure,SQL Azure, and AppFabric), and subsequently explaining more details on each component:
1. Windows Azure: Operating System on the cloud, what the Fabric Controller is, how it works, compute role (web and worker), and Windows Azure Storage
2. SQL Azure: Relational database service on the cloud, what are the differences, how to migrate SQL Server to SQL Azure
3. AppFabric: Service Bus and Access Control Service.
Since I believe that audience would have a better understanding and real experience when seeing the demo, I delivered more demo than slides.
Some photos of the event
My Slide and Demos